Some say I hear from the Lord. That is good because the scriptures testify that we can hear God’s voice. “And we ourselves heard this utterance made from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain” (2 Peter 1:18). And God indeed talk to us in so many ways. Dreams, vision, Bible, during prayer, worship, etc. But Is every word he hears really from God? Not, because the voice you hear, could be your inner voice, your worries, your concerns, problem, or imagination could be from the other spirit. How can you confirm the voice you hear is from the Lord? Here are some guidelines for you.
1. Must be in line with the Holy Scripture- The words you hear if it is from the Lord will not contradict any bible principles or any truth from the Bible. Your bible should always be the main barometer for every word you hear. Example, you are dating a girl and you know that he is married. But you say, “Oh I hear from the Lord that you will be my girlfriend”. Really? How can the Lord put you to sin! NO, that word you hear surely not from God but from yourself.
2. Must be in line with God’s Character-. You know God is good, compassionate, slow to anger, abounding in love – He does not keep the records of wrong. Forgiving, Kind, faithful, Merciful, just, righteous. So, the words you hear must not go against the character of God!
3. Must be in line with what God is doing in your life. The Word you hear
must be analyze carefully. Example You spend so much money and time to study and become a Doctor. You love being a doctor. And you said, “I hear from the Lord to abandon my carrier and go to be missionary to Thailand or elsewhere”. You might be called to be a missionary, but God did really to abandon your carrier? This what meant to analyze the word you hear.
4. Asking councils from another mature believer. Let the supernatural words you hear be shared to other mature believers. This people surely tell you about the words you hear since they have more knowledge in the word of God. They can also confirm if the word you hear is really from the Lord.
5. Asking God Himself to confirm his words for you.- The scriptures says “If you ask Me anything in My name, I do it.” (John 14.14). God can and will confirms His words to you in so many ways: through other believers, may be events or experiences, dreams, vision, through his Word (the Bible), preaching and many other things. It is always good to ask God to confirm his words for you.
As we begin 2019. What is the word of God to you?
One very important reminder is “Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory”. Colossians 3:2-4 (NASB)
God bless us all!