With many things going on right now like the protest, economic slowdown, and the coronavirus. Do we really have the guts or the joy to say Happy Lunar New Year? This the question I heard among our friends.
If you ask me personally. It does not affect me. Because saying Happy Lunar New Year is wish or a prayer that you want your friend to experience. We say Happy New Year because we want them to be happy all the time, regardless of the situation or problem or challenges they face in life. And by the way, Jesus has warned us 2000 years ago that in this world we will have many troubles, But Jesus encouragement to take heart, or be strong and hold on to Him. Because He overcome the world (John 16:33). As believers of Christ we are called by the Lord to be the salt and light of the world (Matthew 5:13-16). This time of challenges in our City, you will be great to bring positive outlooks or vibes into our City.
1. Declare POSITIVE energy — to all your relatives and friends. Say with confidence “Happy Lunar New Year!” the Lord bless you! The Scripture has encouraged to be positive all the time. So why not tell it to others too.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8 (NIV).
2. Declare the Word of God — especially those blessings Scriptures. Because it is so powerful.
“As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:10-11 (NIV).
3. Be an example of Joy to people — Being joyful and happy is totally different – Joy is having the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22). It is deep down to your bone. You can be joyful despite of challenges. While happiness is shallow. You feel happy when you achieve material thing or got good results in you activities in life, If not, you feel sad.
4. Be an example of faith — With challenges we face in Hong Kong we never lose hope, never worry. Believing that behind the cloud the sun is still shining. The Lord our God will never abandon his people.
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6)
5. Be the example of Love — This moment because of what is going on the love of many has grown cold. But this should not be the case to a believer like you and me. Love is the most powerful weapon you have in this world to solve every problem you face in life.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1Corinthians 13:4-7. )
I could give you more, but I believe this enough for us this time… to start a year with reminders to bless others.